This test checks the applicants basic ability in map reading through the use of an A to Z.
We provide a low-cost topographical test service that gives you one stop solution to acquire your test certificates. If you want to become a licensed private hire driver in London, you must complete a topographical assessment. The exam is conducted under exam conditions by TfL assessors . The results are given out by the TFL assessment team who will also update the TFL database with your result within 10 working days. (At certain times this time may be longer due to increased demand)
All tests must be booked through TfL by contacting them on 0343 222 4444. Further details on test booking can be found at www.tfl.gov.uk/topographical
We provide professional help and support to ensure that you get best training in a supportive environment and that you walk away confident in order to pass the test !
- Full support/training to help gain a pass in the Topographical test.
- Free maps and materials.
- Unlimited support and help.
The structure of the Topographical Skills Assessment:
Module 1: Map reading ability – ability to use a simple map and lookup addresses and key points.
Module 2: Route selection (local) – tests the ability to plan and identify a route in a specific local area of the City of London
Module 3: Intermediate route selection – ability to be able to plan and choose routes beyond your local area but still within London.
Module 4: Route selection (long distance) – tests the ability to plan and identify routes situated outside of London
Module 5: General topographical skills questions – general map reading questions such as orientation and motorways.
You may be exempt if you satisfy the Topographical skill’s requirement as listed by TfL:
- Previously licensed London Private Hire Vehicle drivers who have already passed a TfL Topographical Skills Assessment
- Licensed London taxi drivers – both all London and Suburban
- Professional London tourist guide (e.g. Blue Badge Driver Guide)
- An individual who can provide TfL with evidence of a relevant vocational qualification in passenger transport (e.g. NVQ or equivalent)
Remember, spaces are limited so get booked in today! Call us Now!
Training Classes 6 Days Per Week! Full Application Submission Services!
How to book your Topographical Assessment
To book your assessment:
- Firstly, you must submit your application to TfL
- Once you have sent your application in, you need to phone TfL on 0343 222 4444 to book your Assessment
- Once you have been given a date, contact us to book your training
- Attend the training and assessment as planned
We strongly recommend that drivers attend a training session before your assessment – many drivers can read an A – Z but are not sure how TfL want the questions answered, and hence fail.
Current Position with TfL (You only get 2 chances to Pass).
You get 2 attempts to pass the Topographical Skills Test with TfL. If you fail twice your application will be withdrawn. If you still wish to continue with the application, you’ll need to submit another fresh application with all the supporting documents and another processing fee of £310. Our aim to prepare you for the exam so that you pass within the first 2 attempts. We have independently organised a new package, the “Topographical Trial Test”.
Driver Licensing Criteria
In order to become a licensed private hire driver, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 21 years of age at the time of applying
- You must hold a full DVLA, Northern Ireland, or other EEA state driving licence that is at least three years old.
- You must have the right to live and work in the UK
- You must be of good character. To establish this, you will be required to pass a criminal record check from DBS.
- You must be medically fit
- You will need to pass a topographical skills assessment
- DVLA or EU driving license (3 years or older)
- Bank statement or utility bill (no older than 3 months)
- Passport or EU id Card
- Valid visa residency status/biometric card (if required)
- Glasses prescription (if necessary)
- National Insurance number.
All the following are required on the day of your appointment if you are missing any of the above please contact us.
For more information on becoming a licensed private hire driver, please visit the official TfL (Transport for London) website.
To find out more information, please contact
- 07921460631 or